Spicy Brazilian Shrimp Soup
Fluffy lime rice floating in a pool of coconut and tomato bisque, topped with shrimp, and garnished with fresh chopped cilantro.
- 1 cup balsamic rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can (14-ounces) diced tomatoes, with green chiles
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce
- 1 can (14-ounces) coconut milk
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled and cut in half horizontally
- 2 teaspoons chili lime seasoning
In a medium saucepan bring rice and water to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to a low simmer and cover for 15-20 minutes. Uncover and mix in coconut oil. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Add the lime juice, lime zest, and ½ teaspoon salt, mix. Fold in cilantro. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
Add tomatoes, broth, roasted peppers, and sriracha to the pot. Bring to a boil.
Stir the coconut milk into the soup.
Season the shrimp with the Chili Lime Seasoning. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a saucepan. Add the shrimp and cook 3 minutes. Turn and cook another 2 – 3 minutes.