A “Twist” on Pizza! This pizza has a twisted handmade crust filled with a mixture of melted butter and roasted garlic and filled with soppressata sausage, roasted red pepper, black olives, grated Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil.
- 1½ cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons white cornstarch
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 cups of flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4½ ounces soppressata sausage
- 3 tablespoons chopped black olives
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 1 small bunch basil
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- This is one of our favorite never-fail recipes. In a 2-cup measuring cup measure out the warm water. Add the cornstarch and yeast, mix. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes to let the yeast bubble. Adding some form of sugar gives the yeast something to eat on giving you that desired proof that ensures the perfect rise.
- Pour the yeast mixture into a food processor bowl. Add the olive oil and salt. Pulse for 30 seconds. Slowly begin to add the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing for 2 minutes between additions. Turn the dough onto a floured board. The dough will be very sticky at this point so sprinkle some extra flour on top.
- Knead, adding additional flour as needed until no longer sticky, about 5 – 6 kneads is all that is needed. Place the dough into a warm bowl and let rest under a warm, moist towel for 15 minutes.
- Start rolling the dough into a long rope, working downward until about as thick as your thumb. Twist as you work to prevent it from retracting. Form into a circle leaving some space in between as it is not done expanding yet.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and garlic, microwave 40 seconds, or until butter is melted. Spoon the mixture into the creases of the twisted dough filling the seams. Do not worry if some of the yum fall in between. As the dough expands it will be incorporated into the pizza.
- Roughly chop the sausage, black olives, red peppers, and basil and place in a small bowl. Mix with Parmesan cheese. Spread the mixture between the rows. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a little garlic salt and black pepper. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 390°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. You’ll start to smell the aroma filling your kitchen right before the buzzer goes off. Take out of the oven and garnish with some Parmesan cheese and a handful of basil leaves.