A tangy bite of feta over the smooth buttery taste of charred broccoli with fresh thyme and toasted breadcrumbs.
Tried of the same old salad for lunch? Add a plate of sliced charred broccoli to your lunch routine to switch it up a bit. lt not only looks divine, but there is something about using a fork and knife to cut into it that is physiologically satisfying.
I am not a nutritionist, nor could I play one on TV. To be far, I would not want to play or be one either. It sounds about as much fun as being an accountant. Now before you get all offended, keep in mind I am an accountant and IT is boring. But I’m getting off track here, let’s talk a little about protein. According to Healthline, it’s not just the total amount of protein you take in every day. It is also about getting enough at each meal that is also important. Researchers recommend a minimum of 20–30 grams of protein at each meal. You won’t get that here. If that is important to you add some squash or pumpkin seeds to the dish.
A Mushroom by any other name:
I tend to use mini bellas in most of my recipes. Not only are they versatile and can be used in most anything, they offer a more complex flavor component. Brown-hued mushroom varieties have a stronger taste mainly due to their unique umami. If you are not a mushroom lover, or prefer a milder flavor, you can swap them for a lighter variety. Try using White Buttons instead. For this recipe a mushroom by any other name is still a mushroom.
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large bunch broccoli, sliced lengthwise into 3 – 4 thick slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, toasted
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, destemmed
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt. When all the butter is melted add the mushrooms and sautéed until soft, stirring often to avoid burning the butter, about 5 – 6 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate. Set aside.
- Wipe the skillet out with a paper towel. Return to heat and warm some olive oil in skillet. Reduced the heat to medium and add the broccoli slices. Salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for 3 minutes; turn over and sauté the other side.
- Return the mushrooms back to the skillet to heat through. Transfer the broccoli slices to serving plates. Spoon some mushrooms over each broccoli slice. Divide the feta cheese evenly over the slices. Season with breadcrumbs and fresh thyme.