A light and fluffy vanilla pancake batter with bits of fresh strawberries folded in.
What is your favorite fruit? I’ve never been much of a fruit person preferring veggies to fruit until the day I was introduced to strawberries. Our babysitter brought some over picked fresh from her family farm. Once she sliced into those plump red delights and I caught a whiff of that fruity, rose-like aroma I was hooked.
I cannot tell you how many strawberries I have consumed over the years. I can tell you I have had them with chocolate and cream, in pies and ice cream, layered with yogurt, baked in breads and cakes, simmered into jams, and plucked fresh from the garden still warmed by the sun. Yet one of my favorite ways to eat them is in my morning pancakes.
Undeniable the headliner to these pancakes are the strawberries, but every good pancake starts with the batter. Here are five ways to ensure a fluffy outcome.
- It is always a good practice to adhere to all “best used by” dates, but when it comes to pancakes your baking powder should not go beyond its expiration date or your cakes will fall flat.
- I whisk the wet and dry ingredients separately to remove any large lumps beforehand.
- Do not overmix. If you ignore all else, follow this one rule. When it comes to pancakes lumpy batter is good batter.
- Throw out your artificial flavored vanilla for pure, or better yet a good quality vanilla paste. The paste contains flecks from the pod and has a more intense flavor than extract.
- Lastly, pre-heat your griddle. A hot griddle will form the pancakes into a nice round cake as soon as it hits the griddle.
You might be tempted to use buttermilk, because buttermilk pancakes come on! Don’t. Not for this recipe. Regular milk creates a nice subtle flavor that allows the strawberry and vanilla to come through pure. Buttermilk has a slight tang that can override the sweetness.
That’s it. Let’s start grilling some of the best pancakes you’ll ever taste.
Strawberry Vanilla Pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- Cooking spray
- * Maple Syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the butter, egg, milk, and vanilla paste.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined. The batter should be lumpy. Fold in the strawberries.
- Heat a griddle, or large frying pan, over medium-high heat until hot. Spray griddle with cooking spray. Pour batter by 1/4 cup scoops. I use a large ice cream scoop. Work in batches grilling a few pancakes at a time. Cook until bubbles burst. Turn and cook until underside is golden.
- Remove from pan and repeat with the remaining batter, spraying griddle with more cooking spray as needed.
- Stack pancakes on a warm plate. Serve immediately.