New York strip steak, fresh head of romaine lettuce grilled until charred and smoky, and then topped with grape tomatoes, crispy shallots, and sautéed mushrooms, served with a blue cheese vinaigrette.
When the weather warms up it is time to pull out the grill. We are celebrating with one of our favorite meals, Steakhouse Salad. It is stacked with flavors that complement one another with that perfect grilled smoky sear.
Season a 1 pound double New York strip steak with a thick coat of our Coffee Rub. Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and let rest for 20 minutes. Heat coals on a grill. When grill is ready, sear the steak for 2 minutes on each side directly over the coals creating a nice charred seal. Move the steak to the cool part of the grill and cook with the lid on for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove from the grill, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes.
Peel and slice 1 – 2 shallots, remove the stems and slice 4 ounces of white capped mushrooms, slice 2 cloves of garlic. Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of our smoked sea salt. Toss to coat. Spread into a single layer on a cast iron pan and place on hot coals.
Cut 1 Romaine heart in half, drizzle with olive oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon our smoked sea salt. Place directly over the hot coals. Grill until lightly browned on all sides, turning and stirring every minute or two until done.
Place the romaine lettuce on a plate. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the lettuce. Add sliced grape tomatoes, crumbled blue cheese, and freshly chopped thyme. Slice the steak and plate around the salad. Serve with a blue cheese vinaigrette on the side.
- 1 pound double New York strip steak
- 3 – 4 tablespoons COFarms coffee rub
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 – 2 shallots, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 Romaine heart, sliced lengthwise
- COFarms Smoked Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Season the steak with a thick layer of coffee rub. Drizzle with olive oil and massage over the entire steak. Let sit for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Heat coals on a grill. When the coals are red hot, spread them out on one side of the grill and place the steaks over the coals. Sear the steak for 2 minutes on each side. Move the steak to the cool part of the grill and cook with the lid on for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl add the shallots, mushrooms, and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and season with smoked sea salt. Spread the mixture onto a grilling pan in a single file. Brush the romaine lettuce with some olive oil and season with smoked sea salt. Place over hot coals and grill until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
- Place the romaine lettuce on a plate, divide the mushroom mixture evenly, and top with tomatoes and blue cheese. Slice the steak and arrange around the lettuce.