Endive is a member of the chicory family which gives the salad a crisp texture and a sweet, nutty flavor with a pleasantly mild bitterness.
Smoked Salmon Endive Salad
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 heads Belgian endive (cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup arugula lettuce
- 1 Anjou pear (cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup red grapes (thinly sliced)
- 12 ounces smoked salmon
- 1/2 cup black walnut pieces
- Olive oil (for drizzling)
- Flaky salt (like Cedar Oak Farms Smoked Sea Salt, for garnish)
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Using six salad plates divide and layer as follows: Start with the endive, add a few pieces of arugula, some slices of pear, followed by some grape slices. Top with some of the salmon, dividing evenly among the plates. Drizzle some of the dressing over each salad. Garnish with the walnuts, a drizzle of olive oil, and some of the flaky salt.