Herb roasted mushrooms, flatbread pizza, kale pecan pesto, and creamy melted muenster cheese. This recipe is a garden buster taking advantage of many fresh garden items: leek, kale, and herbs.
Herbed Roasted Mushrooms:
Slice 8 ounces organic baby bella mushrooms and place them in a small bowl. Add fresh chopped oregano, thyme, and sage (or whatever savory herbs you have growing in your garden). Drizzle with enough olive oil to cover mushrooms. For extraordinary flavor season with Our Smoked Sea Salt. Mix to blend and let stand for 20 minutes allowing it to macerate.
🍳TIP: This is where you are going to want to finally try Cedar Oak Farms Smoked Sea Salt. Not your ordinary smoked sea salt. COFarms is filled with herbs and smoked vegetables and when left to macerate with olive oil it explode with unexpected flavor. I promise, if you try this smoked sea salt you will never buy ordinary smoked sea salt again.
When ready, heat a small pan and add the mushrooms. Sauté for 5 – 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, enough to be able to handle.
Cut the root and dark greens off removing the outer layer to ensure all dirt is removed. Slice the leek lengthwise and rinse. Thinly slice the remaining leek. Save some of the dark greens for garnish if desired. In a medium nonstick pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Once the butter starts to foam, add the leeks.
Season with COFarms Smoked Sea Salt. (I am serious, you will forever thank me!) The salt will help to draw out the moisture. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
🍳TIP: Melted leeks take on the texture and taste of caramelized onions only with a fuller almost garlicky taste. It’s caramelized onions on steroids!
Kale Pecan Pesto:
Place 2 cups of loosely packed kale in a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons pecans and pulse until finely chopped. Add 3 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons water and pulse until combines. Season with, Yep! COFarms Smoked Sea Salt.
Unroll a package of premade flatbread dough with parchment paper attached directly on baking sheet. I like the European Bakery Style dough. You can usually find it in the refrigerated section of larger groceries. Spread the pesto over the dough and add the mushrooms and leeks on top. Bake 14 – 18 minutes in a preheated 425°F oven.
Melted Muenster Cheese:
While the flatbread bakes melt the muenster cheese. Cut 4 ounces of muenster cheese into cubes. Fill the bottom of a double boiler 3/4 full of water and heat over medium heat. Bring to a rolling boil. Place the cheese cubes into the top pan of the double boiler. Reduce the heat to low. Add a tablespoon of half-and-half to the cheese. Stir until smooth.
🍳TIP: You can also melt it in a microwave. Place the cheese cubes in a microwave safe bowl with the cream and melt for 1 minutes. Stir and continue melting at 30 second intervals until smooth stirring after each cook time.
Mushroom and Leek Flatbread:
Remove the flatbread from the oven and drizzle the melted cheese over the top. Garnish with some of the dark green leeks you cut away earlier. Slice and serve immediately.
Mushroom & Leek Flatbread
- 8 ounces organic baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 – 4 tablespoons fresh herbs like oregano, sage, and thyme, chopped
- 1 leek, root and outer layer removed and sliced
- 2 cups kale, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons pecans
- 5 tablespoons olive oil + more for drizzling, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 package refrigerated flatbread dough
- 4 ounces Muenster cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- Cedar Oak Farms Smoked Sea Salt
- Place the mushrooms and herbs in a medium bowl. Drizzle with enough olive oil to coat mushrooms. Season with COFarms Smoked Sea Salt and let sit for 20 minutes to absorb flavors.
- Pour the mushrooms, oil and all, into a skillet and sauté for 5 – 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and butter in a medium nonstick pan. Heat until butter starts to foam, add the leeks. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover with a tight lid, and let cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with COFarms smoked sea salt. Remove from heat and let cool slightly
- Place the kale and pecans in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the water pulse until combined. Season with COFarms smoked sea salt.
- Unroll the flatbread dough on a 13×9-inch baking sheet with parchment paper down. Spread the kale pesto over the dough. Layer on the mushrooms and leeks. Bake at 425°F oven for 14 – 18 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Place the cheese cubs and half-and-half in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minutes. Stir and continue melting at 30 seconds intervals until a smooth consistency. Drizzle over the flatbread.
- Serve immediately.