This creamy orzo dish is loaded with mushrooms and freshly grated Parmesan cheese with the most amazing garlic cream sauce. We added a pan-seared hanger steak and turn it into a main dish!
Creamy Orzo & Mushrooms Plate
- 1 3-4 pound hanger steak
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, destemmed
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Rub the steak with the salt and pepper and let sit for 10 minutes. (We used COFarms Smoked Sea Salt because, YUM!)
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place the steak in the skillet and cook for 7 minutes, turning and moving the steak often to prevent burning. Add 4 tablespoons of butter, melting and spooning the butter over the steak as it finishes cooking, about 7 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cover with foil. Allow the steak to rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the orzo pasta and brown a bit. Transfer the orzo to a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet, when hot add onions and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are tender. Add in the garlic and oregano sauté for until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the orzo back to the skillet along with the chicken stock and half-and-half, stir to combine.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until the pasta is cooked al dente, about 8 -10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese to melt.
- Spoon the orzo onto a serving plate, slice the steak and serve over the orzo. Garnish with fresh oregano.