The tangy bite of feta over the smooth buttery taste of charred broccoli with fresh thyme and toasted breadcrumbs.
For the toasted breadcrumbs:
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and layer three slices of any day old bread you have on hand. Brush some olive oil over the bread; season with some of our Mediterranean Rub. Bake in a 425°F oven until crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness of the bread.
For the mushrooms:
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated add 2 tablespoons butter one tablespoon at a time melting the butter after each addition. Once all the butter is melted add 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms. Sauté the mushrooms until they are soft and tender flipping occasionally to keep the butter from burning, about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate, set aside
For the broccoli:
Wipe the skillet out with a paper towel. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add 1 large bunch broccoli that has been sliced lengthwise to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté over medium heat undisturbed until broccoli is charred, about three minutes. Turn the broccoli over and char the other side.
Finish the dish:
Add the mushrooms back to the skillet and heat through. Plate the broccoli and mushrooms. Sprinkle with some feta cheese, toasted breadcrumbs, and fresh thyme.
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large bunch broccoli, sliced lengthwise into 3 – 4 thick slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, toasted
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, destemmed
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt. When all the butter is melted add the mushrooms and sautéed until soft, stirring often to avoid burning the butter, about 5 – 6 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate. Set aside.
- Wipe the skillet out with a paper towel. Return to heat and warm some olive oil in skillet. Reduced the heat to medium and add the broccoli slices. Salt and pepper to taste. Sauté for 3 minutes; turn over and sauté the other side.
- Return the mushrooms back to the skillet to heat through. Transfer the broccoli slices to serving plates. Spoon some mushrooms over each broccoli slice. Divide the feta cheese evenly over the slices. Season with breadcrumbs and fresh thyme.