This apple and greens appetizer is a play on my favorite salad. Red apple wedge, dressed greens, and diced walnuts get wrapped up in prosciutto. The flavors of the salty prosciutto and the sweet apples with the acidity of the dressing are the perfect combination.
Apple & Greens
- 6 ounces prosciutto
- 2 red apples like Braeburn or jazz, cored and quartered
- 4 ounces baby romaine
- 1/4 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, shallot and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil and continue to whisk until smoothly blended.
- In a medium bowl add the lettuce and start by drizzle some of the dressing over the lettuce, adding more dressing as you toss. You want to lightly coat the lettuce not drench it. Baby romaine is delicate and too dressing will make the lettuce go limp. More than likely you will have dressing left over. Store it in a air tight jar in your refrigerator for use on salads later.
- Starting at one end of the prosciutto, place an apple slice, cover with lettuce and a sprinkle of walnuts. Roll the prosciutto over the apple and greens into a cylinder.
- This looks great laid out on a plate with a pop of red garnish, like cranberries or pomegranate.